Well that was a particularly long Christmas break from the Rookie.
I signed off for Christmas late December and have been a bit quiet online. I have been working on a side a project and spent a bit more time off the grid than I had imagined. If I am totally honest the longer I stay offline the harder I find to get back into it, and then the self-doubt and anxiety builds up. I am going to try much harder this year to keep up a good routine of blogging.
How does the Christmas break go by so quickly? I was pleasantly surprised that my family and I all bought each other mostly secondhand or homemade presents sustainably wrapped in secondhand cloth and recyclable paper/ newspaper. One of my present’s was another piece of the Le Creuset set my mum found secondhand at an auction rooms. It was a lot of fun lugging that back on the Eurostar. I truly think she is trying to give me some kind of permanent arm damage as revenge for constantly showing off my biceps at home.
New Year’s was lovely, a group of us rented a little place in Rye for a couple of nights very close to the beach.
I am terrible at New Year’s resolutions, let’s call them intensions. Here are a few things I would like to work on over the next year.
- Learn Dutch. I am already picking up a bit, but I would like to get a proper move on with my Dutch and converse with the locals now that I live in Amsterdam.
- Vegeanuary . Yep the Rookie household is going to be eating a lot less animal products this
Januaryyear and I will share any favourite recipes along the way.
- Read more. Turn off the Netflix and pick up more books.
- Saying Yes to plans and meaning it. Or saying no and meaning it. I just need to give a definitive answer and not be the world’s worst flake.
- Being a bit more present. I am the worst at this. I am usually listening to a podcast with one ear whilst following a recipe and cooking and completing an overdue email in the meantime. It is not productive nor sensible. This year I definitely intend to be much more “in the moment”.