Once you start reducing your single-use, it gets a bit addictive. I have now started storing the cold water whilst waiting for the hot taps to come out, reusing and saving any plastic packaging and generally trying to avoid anything going to landfill. This is
usually sometimes at my own expense, and drives my cohabiting partner mad. Saving the world was never going to be easy right?
Here is an update on the bathroom swaps that have worked for me (and those that have not):
- Reusable cotton pads. Why are these only materialising now? Super easy swap that I just bung in the white wash each week. I bought bamboo and organic cotton ones, but theres lots of different ones out there, keep in mind they are cheaper online.
- The reusable mentstrual cup. This simple little piece of magic has changed my life. I have been using it for 2 years and will not go back to tampons. It’s perfect for trips away too, because you don’t have to rush around trying to find tampons. Even if you’re not ready for the reusable. Please PLEASE look for organic cotton tampons. There are currently no restrictions for the materials used to make tampons and this can lead to cervical cancer. Yoni is a great organic tampon provider in the Netherlands.
- Reusable razor. Apart from anything else this is SO much cheaper. And a better shave. I use the Bambaw razor which was around 20 pounds and change the razor every month.
- Soap and shampoo bars. I have been using the Lush volumiser shampoo bar and experimenting between L’occitane en provence (post payday and Alterra when the wallet is a bit light)
- Natural products. Using a few more natural remedies on my skin such as a bulk buy Shea butter and , I have been loving the Susanne Kaufmann skincare products for something a bit more luxurious as well as We Are Paradox Game Changer hair mask.
- Toothpaste. I have tried Georganics, toothpaste tablets, and even tried making my own but none of them feel like their working, do you have a recommendation? The natural toothpaste part is something I can’t get on board with.
- Deodorant. I have been using the Mamalin very easy homemade recipe for a while now, and loving it.
- Cotton buds. I tried to give these up completely, but let’s just say it didn’t go well. I’ve started getting the wooden cotton buds from The Humble Company
- Recycled toilet roll or The Good Roll. Sure, the recycled stuff might not be as soft as the bleached Andrex stuff, but honestly it’s a small price to pay.
- Bamboo toothbrush. No brainer.
- Using stuff up. Okay this sounds simple but I realised I was saving fancy toiletries, and they ended up just going off. I have started using stuff, and when the bottle cannot be reused or is not included in a take-back scheme I cut it open to be properly used up. And boy is it satisfying.
I would love to hear about what has been working for you, what hasn’t. If anyone has toothpaste recommendations let me know!